Mindo Cloud Forest - Bird Watching & Adventure Tour
It is located an hour and 45 minutes from Quito on the lower flanks of the western Andes in the Province of Pichincha. The Valley of Mindo is part of the protected 48,000 acres (19,200 hectares) Mindo Nambillo Reserve. The Forest stretches over the slopes of Pichincha Volcano at altitudes from 4,700 to 1,400 meters, (15,500 to 4,600 feet) and covers diverse ecosystems ranging from the cloud-high, treeless plateau or “paramo” through subtropical forest to Tropical Rain Forest.
Cloud forests like Mindo have high humidity, cool temperatures and an abundance of wildlife and plants particularly epiphytes, varieties that grow on other plants. The Valley of Mindo is considered to be one of South America’s best bird-watching sites. BirdLife International named Mindo as the first IBA or Important Bird Area in the Americas in 1997, for its exceptional flora, fauna and botanical abundance, unique in species, considered vital for the development of ecological tourism.
- Spanish – English speaking guide
- Private transportation
- Private services
- Meals & Drinks
- Alcoholic beverages
- Entrance fees to churches, museum, archeological sites, national parks or tourist attractions
- Optional activities
- Personal expenses
- Medical and Travel Insurance
What to bring?
- Sunhat + Sunblock
- Walking Shoes/Sneakers or Tennis shoes
- Comfortable clothes in layers (jeans,t-shirt, sweater and a jacket)
- Small bag to carry a camera, sunblock, wallet, water (to keep everything safe)
- Rain Jacket
- All prices are per person
- Guides in other languages like Italian, German and French are available under request and with a supplement
- We can include lunch to your tour with an extra rate
- Optional activities like canoeing, tubing, canopy zip lines, butterflies farm, hiking to the waterfalls, orchid farm and artisan chocolate factory. It is not possible to do all the activities listed above in a full day tour