It is a place unlike any other
Located in the heart of one of the most biodiverse ecosystems on the planet. Ecuador’s Yasuni National Park is rich with extraordinary wildlife and vibrant local culture. Spanning nearly 2.5 million acres of Amazonian rain forest. This is truly a gem to be cherished. And the Napo Wildlife Center the only lodge with in Yasuní National Park boundaries can take you there.
The Napo Wildlife Center is situated on the Northern margins of the Yasuní National Park on the banks of the Napo River. The lodge is reached after a 2.5-hour comfortable motorboat ride from Coca city down the Napo River. From the arrival point on the river, you are transferred to paddle-canoes —to reduce the environmental impacts and preserve the forest and its wildlife, on a narrow black-water creek that takes you to Añangu Lake and finally see the red cabins of the Napo Wildlife Center.
This boat ride is one of the best experiences in the whole trip as the local guide silently paddles under the canopy of the trees that close over Añangu creek with great chances of encountering giant otters, several primate species, peccaries and the luckiest, a jaguar or tapir.
One of the particularities of this hotel is that it is 100% managed by the Kichwa Añangu community, making it the greatest example of a community-based project that benefits the local community and preserves the diverse flora and fauna of the area.
Premium Tour: 4 Days / 3 Nights
Our 4 days – 3 nights premium tour includes canoe trips along lakes and rivers, forest excursions and birding tours. Experience an incredible adventure paddling a small canoe or hiking on the forest trails. Get a close up view of the Amazon wildlife in the Yasuní National Park, a sacred land considered one of the most diverse areas in the planet.
Departing from Quito, Ecuador’s capital city, a 30-minutes flight over the eastern Andes will take you to the jungle town of Coca. There, members of our staff will be waiting for you to give you warm welcome and take you to the Francisco de Orellana Port –which is only 5 minutes away from the airport. And here is where the real adventure begins! At the port you will get on a motorized canoe downstream the Napo River, the major tributary of the Amazon Rainforest in Ecuador. During the trip, you will have the chance to see different birds such as kingfishers, herons and other and admire the incredible views of the Amazon jungle that opens before your eyes. A trip a box lunch will be provided.
After our two-hours ride along the Napo River, you will arrive at the NWC’s dock entrance where to take a short break to freshen up and use the restrooms. Then, we will continue our way to the lodge on paddle-canoes –motorized canoes are not allowed within the Napo territory. This majestic and peaceful dugout canoe ride a narrow stream will lead us to the Añangu Lake, where the hotel is.
Late in the afternoon, we will arrive to the Napo Wildlife Center where our staff will welcome you with drinks and show your rooms and other areas of the lodge
Adventure at the Napo Wildlife Center begins early in the morning! In this second day at the premium Amazon Jungle tour you will presence one of the most incredible nature spectacles you will ever see: the parrot clay licks. It will only take us about an hour to get to the first parrot clay lick which is of easy access from the lodge. Once we get there, at about 7:30 or 8:30 am it will take just a few minutes for birds to show up. It is a real spectacle of colors, about 11 species of bird such as parrots, macaws and parakeets visit the clay licks every day to feed with the minerals that are concentrated in the soil.
Later on, we will hike along the forest trail to visit the Kichwa Añangu community to share time with the men, women and children of the community and learning about their everyday-life activities, routines and their ancestral customs and traditions. Then, we will say goodbye to the families and continue our adventure Then, we will go back to the creek and go hiking for 30 minutes throughout a Terra Firme forest until reaching the second parrot clay lick and repeat the experience of seeing a great variety of parrots, parakeets and macaws as you eat a delicious lunch our staff will provide you.
Late in the afternoon we will arrive back to the NWC to rest and enjoy from our lodge social areas and comfortable-luxury rooms.
A delicious breakfast will be served at the NWC restaurant early in the morning. After that, we will depart to the Canopy Observation Tower, a high platform from which you will get a close-up view of the most amazing views of the jungle. The tower is about 30 minutes from the lodge within the terra forme forest.
This wooden platform of 36 meters’ high was built just next a huge and ancient Kapok tree. To get to the top you have to pass through different levels of the forest. Then, when you are finally there, the immensity and beauty of the Amazon jungle opens just before you. There are not enough words to describe it, you have to live it yourself!
Birds that are just virtually impossible to see from the jungle floor will pass right through you. Flocks of vibrantly colored tanagers, blue-and-yellow macaws and large toucans fly past in the early mornings and afternoons.
In the afternoon, after having lunch back in the Napo Wildlife Center, we will go deep into a terra firme trail to discover the beautiful and mysterious wildlife that hides in the forest interior. There are great possibilities to see lizards, different species of monkeys such as the endemic Golden Mantle Tamarin monkey, rare and unique insects and even some scary snakes! Also, we will take you to explore the black water Añangu Lake and streams that are home of different species of fish and mammals such as the Giant Otter, a unique specie from the Amazon.
Last day, we will depart after an early breakfast to go back to Coca city and repeat the adventure to go out the way you came, a ride on a paddle-canoe to the docking area and then embarking on a motorize canoe to the jungle town.
During this last excursion, the creek may reveal new sights of rare bird species and monkeys and a Giant Otter will possibly show up to good-bye you!
- All prices are per person
- Children under 5 years, hotel free in same parents room plus 50% of airfare to be paid.
- Children under 12 years get 30% discount on hotel prices in the same parents room.
- Napo Wildlife Center recommend for families with children to take a private guide.
- Departures available any day of the week, except Sunday.
- There is a limit of 20 kilograms to check in per person in the aircraft plus carry on. If you are checking in more weight than the excess baggage will be charged to you directly by airline. Rain poncho and rubber boots (from size 3 to 12) provided when needed for excursions.
- For security reasons, swimming into Añangucocha (lagoon) is forbidden. Additional Day(s): Optional excursions such as hikes through different trails and forest types. Canoe rides exploring deeper areas of surrounding creeks with more wildlife possibilities, additional mammal clay lick excursion, handcraft workshop with the local community among other options.
Standard Cabin double or triple occupancy $ 1417.00
Standard Cabin single occupancy $2126.00
Suite double or triple occupancy $ 1638.00
Suite single occupancy $2456.00
*All prices are subject to change without prior notice.
- Air tickets Quito-Coca-Quito with assistance from the airport in Quito on (help with check-in and land transfers in Coca)
- All meals
- River transportation to Coca – Napo Wildlife Center – Coca
- Accommodations in Napo Wildlife Center
- Entrance to Yasuni National Park and parrot clay licks
- Community and naturalist bilingual guide
- Impermeable poncho and rubber boots
- All excursions and activities like program detail
- Other non-specified requirements
- Small day pack for excursions. Zip lock-type plastic bags to cover optics or other gear.
- Insect repellent (Skin-so-soft or DEET product with at least 20% concentration). No inflammable sprays as they are not allowed by the airline. Sunscreen lotion with a high SPF factor.
- Flashlight or headlamp bright enough for use on night walks.
- Personal toiletries and medications (carry medications with you when arriving and leaving the lodge).
- Extra batteries/film/video tapes as appropriate.
- Original passport (always good to have while traveling)
- Credit card Visa, MasterCard and Diners for bar bills and cash (US$) for Artesania purchases.